PDA

View Full Version : water jet/s location

Hemi T04
19-11-2003, 10:19 AM
In thoery what is the best location for the water, or water alchohl jet.
Either into the turbo inlet,Before the trottle body or directly at the port of each runner like a fuel injector- i can see advntages of the furthest sytem- in that the water having a cooling effect on the whole induction system- but also a problem of maybe not vapourisng properly and sticking to the walls casuing distibution problems.( i some cyilders will get more water than the others- and will hence ping first).
Compared to directly into each head port from the runner, where all the water will vapoursie in the cylinder.
I know you could use more water effectively the further you go back towards the airfilter- as it has more places to vapourise.
Note - i just talked to a guy with an 850 hp methanol injected( no water or intercooler) drag car and he mentioned he gained sixty horsepower by moving the methanol jets right next to the port- compared to the plenum runner intersection.
what do people think?

Brad
19-11-2003, 02:41 PM
Jet placement is dependent on the engine size and useage. The 850hp running methanol has the nozzles in the correct place. The nozzle is large enough that it will not tend to clog. If you are running a smaller engine the nozzles would be small and tend to clog easier. If one jet were to get clogged the engine would run close to correct but one cylinder would be damaged.
I like to place the nozzle 3 to 6 inches befor the throttle plate. This give great response of day to day street driving. If the nozzle is 18" from the plate not enough small droplets make into the combustion chamber to do the job intended.
Each applacation needs to be reviewed for jet placement. One some cars if the placement is to close to the throttle plate one cylinder will get a larger percentage that the others. Intake manifold design is also a large factor in jet placement. Most fuel injected maniflod do not flow correctly wet so this must be taken into account.
From time to time the use of one of those stupid Tornado things has proven use full for proper mixing.