PDA

View Full Version : Water ratios VS full mapping?

1QuickBunny
30-11-2004, 07:38 PM
I have been running a system 2s for a long time on my N/A fiat. This is now installed on my latest toy, a T3 blown VW Cabriolet. Currently we are building a refrigerated water to air IC system. As this is an 8v with the turbo manifold directly below the intake, heat issues are our biggest concern.

Okay, specifically would a fully mappable setup be better? Or running a HSV hooked into the fuel map and using the differant jets to change the mix? I am probally moving away from the Mf2 as I have had some long term issues with it, primarly being able to know the exact map in it AND being able to repeat that map. The car currently has an Electromotive TEC-2 in it. Soon I am going over to a Megasquirts System for even more flexability. My goal is 250hp or so. So I don't neccisarly NEED the WI for agressive tuning, more as a larger safety net for the valves and motor.

Richard L
01-12-2004, 09:00 PM
A fully mapable system is better if you are the "fiddley" type, change to a new system will give you hours of fun aespecially you are not going to go for a agressive tune. If you use the system for safety only, I think the mappable system will be an improvment.

Be sure that you have a water flow monitoring system in place before commencing an agreesive tune.

I havbe read the megasquirt system, it is very good value fo rmonay abd give syou eveything you want. I do have a queation, can you configure the system to detect bloak jet?

Think twice before discarding the MF2. Perhaps a FIA2 used as an interface will help.

1QuickBunny
02-12-2004, 08:16 PM
I could definatly be called the "fiddley" type! I am planning to use the Dash Display 2 for flow monitoring. The primary reason I was planning on moving away from the MF2 is that mine has frittzed out on me. The yellow pump fault light stays on dimly the whole time. I put a momentary pushbutton switch in the switched power line to cut the power for resetting the system. Found that my setup on the spyder was a big pain to prime and this made it a lot easier. Worked for years, but now it turns the led on brightly when you cut the power. I did move the system from one fiat to the next... but I have spent HOURS checking the setup out and can't find the cause. Sent the Mf2 off to Georges Imports here in the states and he is gonna test it out some more but I STRONGLY suspect it is fried. The mapping portion seems to be fine, just the diagnostics section is gone. Besides the dds2 has provisions to DO SOMETHING if crap gets out specs!

In the present form the Megasquirts doesn't have the capability to detect faults. But as it is an open experimental project, such could probally be devised and programed. This is my first adventures into such areas, so I don't have the knowhow to do so yet. I will stick to wiring in solenoids for the time being! I have a computer programer buddy who will take a whack at this after we have everything together, also I want to program in a set of check engine lights simular to the TEC-2's but expanded a little more.

How were you thinking of using the FIA2 as an interface? Another issue I have is being able to recreate a map quickly. This is not easily possible with the MF2...