PDA

View Full Version : Diesels and WI

JakeGMCHD
23-11-2003, 07:02 PM
I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with adding WI on a Turbo Diesel?

I have been working on tuning my own homemade kit. But was looking for others with experience on mixtures and effects of the added cooling. When are you triggering the WI to start and how much are you flowing? And anything else you can offer. Thanks

JakeGMCHD
01-12-2003, 03:52 AM
I guess no one here has ever ran Water Injection on a Diesel before. I know it is an up and coming performance modification for Diesels. Thanks

Brad
01-12-2003, 04:20 AM
Sorry, Overlooled this one. Water injection on a Diesel is a common thing with tractor pulling. It has not made it too the street that much. If you want to push the engine you can run just as much water as fuel. Water will cool the charge but it will also allow you to dump more fuel with out getting the EGT in the danger zone.
For those who have not played with Deisel's they react opposite of gas engines. The more fuel you provide the hotter the exhaust. More fuel means mor power but it gets dangerous. With water cooling the combustion more boost and fuel can be used making more power.
With a little trial and error a good flow pattern can be found. One of the easier things about Deisel is nornally they work in narrow rpm band so a simple on and off system can be easier used.
Having the ability to change fuel delivery to match water and EGT is where the power can come from.
In very hot and dry conditions just the addtion of water is very helpful.
Now the questions
What engine?
Use of the vehicle?
Can you control fuel delivery at varing boost?
Can you carry 5-10 gallons of water mixture?
Mixture refers to the need to keep the water from freezing if needed?

JakeGMCHD
03-12-2003, 04:31 AM
Brad
Thanks for posting a reply was starting to think no one out there had played on a diesel.

I am running a GM Duramax 6.6L with an Allison 5spd Auto. I have the ability to turn the fuel up quite a bit. I can make the computer dump enough fuel to poor smoke out the tail pipe. I have a 8 gallon tank on board now. I can use 2-3gallons a day. I am flowing .5gpm at 100psi right now and looking to increase to .8gpm at 100psi. I would like to mix methanol with the water to keep it from freezing. The truck is used to haul a good sized payload and to commute 100 miles a day and at times tow. Water injection is starting to take off in the light duty diesel pickups.

Brad
03-12-2003, 04:41 AM
What EGT's are you running? Do you inject after the intercooler?
I do a little business with a guy out in weat that sell a computor modification for your truck. It sounds like you have a handle on the tuning.

JakeGMCHD
03-12-2003, 11:52 AM
I'm injecting post intercooler just before the intake manifold. I can run EGT's to 1600* and above without water. I have been able to get my EGT's down to 1000* with water. Do you have any suggestions?

Brad
03-12-2003, 03:23 PM
I have heard 1100 to 1300F before turbo. I will call a couple of people and get a little better answer in a day or two.