PDA

View Full Version : Golf FSI Turbo GTI; Jet placement and 2D setup? UPDATED

Will_emt
16-06-2005, 01:36 PM
Hi
Looking into experimenting and installing 2D kit on the new GTI. HAd a look around the pipes, and I THINK that my best jet site is in the Intercooler return pipe just after the map sensor. But now I have the following questions;
1.) Does the FSI system preclude traditional jet placement on the induction side, and does the 2D complement it as a solution?
2.) From the grapevine, it would appear that this motor with FSI has pretty high knock tolerance, and the fact that manifold role and temps may be less of an issue, should a smaller jet be used (I was thinking .4 or .5)?

Any previous guinea pig work findings on these cars would be appreciated!

UPDATE; HELP NEEDED
Allready started the job, here is my latest problem quoted verbatim as posted on VW Vortex!Doing an Aquamist installation on Mk V GTI using 2D system. Easy enough to do on a 1.8T motor, but bring in the equation of FSI and guess what, no good old injector wires in the usual place. Have the horrible feeling I am breaking new ground here :confused:

Desperately need help to determine where I can find a wire linked to injection system that I can use as a leader for the FIA-2 controller!
Any ideas, diagrams advice will be most appreciated!

Richard L
15-08-2005, 12:32 AM
William,

I have done a few searches on FSI and none has shown me the the signal characteristics.

Will continue to look for it. If I come across a FSI engien, I wil boerrow it for a few hours.

If you happen to have an oscillascope, please send me a picture of wave form, Gert should have one in his workshop.

Will_emt
07-09-2005, 10:25 PM
Some things are simpler when looked at through old eyes!
Finished a 2D +DDS3 install on the new Mk 5 GTI. Whilst injection sees a new shift, injection duration is different, but delivery pulse remains the same. The FSI has an inverted rail, so tracking down the plugs initially seemed a problem, until the harness was located at the centre of the motor.

Bottom line, works perfectly in the same old way. Still datalogging inlet temps but it is apparent that trigger points are best at 0.6 bar, using a 7mm jet on the rubber intercooler return pipe, 40cm from the throttle body.
More info available if anyone needs to do same :)

rehan
30-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Hi Will_emt

My car (also a Mk5 Golf GTI) is currently in a garage where the mechanics tried to install System 2d. I am told that after installation the system seemed to work fine when the engine was idling and when boost was applied while the car was stationary. When the mechanics took the car for a road test (to calibrate the WI system to kick in around 0.5 bar), the WI system did not come on at all.

Diagnostics (including a phone conversation with Richard at Aquamist) seem to suggest that the FIA2 controller cannot handle the high voltage signals from the FSI system.

Richard is working on the problem and, while we all wait for his expert opinion, I just wanted to check if you had any problems with FIA2 in your Golf GTI. Secondly, I am told by my mechanic that the water jet has been installed on the intercooler return pipe very close to the lower part of the engine cooling fan. You indicate that it should be on the same pipe but only 40cm from the throttle body. Without the benefit of any picture from me, is it possible for you to visualise where the jet has been installed on my car and whether it is OK to keep it in that position?

I shall be very grateful if you could shed any light in view of your experience with the same car.

Regards

Rehan

zuoom
24-12-2008, 07:05 AM
hi Richard,

i installed the 2D system on a supercharged 2ZZGE Celica.

wiring is correct. the FIA2 green light lit up during engine
start/idle. n it flash faster when the throttle is applied.
the red light (water injection) lit up during boost situation, when
more throttle is applied.

when the car is not in gear/not moving. the engine is ok. (as in the
engine would rev smoothly.)

but once in gear/on the move, the engine will bog n the revs will
hestiate at around the 3000rpm mark.

please advise.

Richard L
24-12-2008, 12:00 PM
hi Richard,

i installed the 2D system on a supercharged 2ZZGE Celica.

wiring is correct. the FIA2 green light lit up during engine
start/idle. n it flash faster when the throttle is applied.
the red light (water injection) lit up during boost situation, when
more throttle is applied.

when the car is not in gear/not moving. the engine is ok. (as in the
engine would rev smoothly.)

but once in gear/on the move, the engine will bog n the revs will
hestiate at around the 3000rpm mark.

please advise.

It appeared the red and green wire on the FIA2 is reversed. When triggered, the FIA2 starts turning on the fuekl injector, flooding the engine and caused the misfire.

For the time being, wire the red wire to a known 12V (steady) and put the green wire to each leg of the fuel injector until a flasjng green led is establish. You can then reconnect the red wire back to the correct leg of the fuel injector.

One question, It there resistor pack in series with the fuel injector?

Richard

zuoom
24-12-2008, 05:04 PM
It appeared the red and green wire on the FIA2 is reversed. When triggered, the FIA2 starts turning on the fuekl injector, flooding the engine and caused the misfire.

For the time being, wire the red wire to a known 12V (steady) and put the green wire to each leg of the fuel injector until a flasjng green led is establish. You can then reconnect the red wire back to the correct leg of the fuel injector.

the flashing green led is present. (as per current wiring.)

when the car is not moving, the FIA2 works as it should.
only when i test with the car on the move, i get the misfire/bog/hesitation.

in both instances, the FIA2 led flash.

what should i be observing?
on idle, the green led should be a slow flash.
on rev, the green led should be a fast flash, bright.
on throttle cut, the green led should turn off?
would it be a correct description?

Richard L
24-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Please do the test I asked you (rewire the red), I can not help you if you go your way.

zuoom
25-12-2008, 06:10 AM

Please do the test I asked you (rewire the red), I can not help you if you go your way.

what do you mean by putting the green wire to each leg of the fuel injector?
one wire split to 4 to connect to each of the 4 injectors?

regarding the red wire to 12V (steady). that i understand. will do.

regarding the resistor pack issue. there's none on the original loom.

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/press/806-441/instruction.PNG
http://www.aquamist.co.uk/cp/806-009/806-009.html

Richard L
30-12-2008, 11:47 AM
There are twos leg (pins) on each injector, one has a steady 12V supply (key position#2) and the other is pulsed.

The green wire from the FIA2 must be connected to the the "pulsed" leg of the injector, the red must be connected to the "steady" 12V. If they are reversed, it will turn the fuel injector full on during triggeringm causes mis-fire...

If the fuel injector has an line "resistor" conencted to the 12V leg (as in EVO or some other cars), you have to relocate ther red wire to the +12V side of the resistor. If you don't do this, mis-fire will occur, as the fuel inejctor is dumping extra fuel into the cylinder.

Resistor pack is sometimes remote located, check the OE wiring diagram to be certain.