PDA

View Full Version : Aquamist on my home-made turbo beater?

speckter
21-06-2005, 02:09 AM
I am curious about the effects of methanol/water injection on a car that is being converted from natural aspiration to turbo. It is a Saturn, which uses a MAP sensor, if that matters.

Most people with turbo Saturns use a separate system to add fuel to the engine using extra fuel injectors. My question is whether a methanol/water injector could be used to provide the same results? Rather than adding more gasoline, just add methanol and water? Is the fuel value of the methanol enough to substitute for gasoline?

I understand that the Saturn computer will not add more fuel for any reason, as it will never know that it is under boost. This obviously creates an incredibly lean condition under boost. Will an Aquamist solve this, or should it only be used in conjunction with a gasoline adding system?

By the way, the car is going to remain at its stock compression with only about 4 pounds of boost, just to help increase torque and midrange. Not looking for HUGE boost and power.

StiScoobySnacks.
24-07-2005, 05:09 AM
if you want more power you need more fuel. the reason that turbos make power is becasue they force air in to your motor, there for allowing you to burn more fuel. thats were your power comes from. if your only going to run 4 psi and you want just a little more power then stock then you should look at cams, exhaust , intake and any other not forced induction performance upgrades. it will be less of a headache then going with a turbo.

unior
24-07-2005, 07:48 PM
I am curious about the effects of methanol/water injection on a car that is being converted from natural aspiration to turbo. It is a Saturn, which uses a MAP sensor, if that matters.

Most people with turbo Saturns use a separate system to add fuel to the engine using extra fuel injectors. My question is whether a methanol/water injector could be used to provide the same results? Rather than adding more gasoline, just add methanol and water? Is the fuel value of the methanol enough to substitute for gasoline?

I understand that the Saturn computer will not add more fuel for any reason, as it will never know that it is under boost. This obviously creates an incredibly lean condition under boost. Will an Aquamist solve this, or should it only be used in conjunction with a gasoline adding system?

By the way, the car is going to remain at its stock compression with only about 4 pounds of boost, just to help increase torque and midrange. Not looking for HUGE boost and power.

yes meth has a fuel value but..its definetly not as much fuel as gasoline. this is why you see the 4 cylinder meth drag cars running like 8 160/lb injectors lol

Rootzz06
15-10-2005, 03:29 PM
The turbo Buick guys seem to be the ones that like to use Alky as supplemental fuel more than anyone.I have been learning alot from here and some of the Turbo Buick forums too.

arz
22-10-2005, 09:08 PM
I have installed a turbo on a Jeep Cherokee 4.0 liter w/ an automatic with similar goals (4-5psi) It too had a Map sensor but it also had no air flow meter. At the time I didnt own a wideband O2 sensor so I never knew if it was too lean or not but I ran it for 4 days straight in the dunes at very high loads (Hill climbs), so I used an EGT instead, and kept a very close eye on that. Not saying thats a good idea just what I did.

The whole project was very short lived but it seemed to run out of steam/power at about 4200 rpms (turbo was to small but had no lag and this was what I was after) redline was 5k so I just let off the throttle and it shiffted early got back into it and everything seemed fine. It went from a slow big Jeep with 33 inch tires to a jeep that could do burnouts on dry pavement with 33 inch tires. We drove around the dunes for 3 hours before we ever realized we forgot to put it in 4 wheel drive.

I would say If you can borrow a Wideband O2 sensor from someone (to see what it does) and you have some way to add more fuel (SAFCII, HKS AIC, or maybe even a rising rate fuel pressure regulator something similar) but you definately need more (and more accurate fuel distribution) fuel than a few crude misting nozzles and an RV pump can generate. Study up on rising rate fuel pressure regulators and what they can do for you, also you will surely need a better fuel pump look for walbro pumps they are great quality for the money. not saying it will work for sure but at only 3-5 psi it might get you close. Now I would never turbo charge a (previously) non turbo charged car without a wideband. If you are at all serious about turbocharging this or any other car in the future this is the one tool you cant do without.

As for h2o/meth injection alone as the suplimental fuel, this route will never get you there but it can help should you generate a lot of heat one day.