PDA

View Full Version : Water/Alcohol Injection for Road Racing?

tgentry
14-10-2005, 06:34 PM
I'm looking into either a chemical or air/air intercooler for my Mustang Cobra, 4.6L, DOHC, Vortech S-Trim. The current tune is intentionally very fuel rich to guard against detonation. It's currently making about 475rwhp @ 15psi, and I'm hoping to cool the intake charge, lean out the fuel a bit and gain some horsepower.

Since this car sees hard road course sessions of 20-30 min. I'm a little worried about the duty cycle of the pump. Obviously water/alc injection would be much easier to package, and possibly more effective than an air/air intercooler.

Any thoughts or advice will be greatly appreciated.

JohnA
15-10-2005, 11:33 AM
Both would be best. They are not mutually exclusive.

Any air/air or water/air intercoling would allow you to use lower quantities of water/alc injection, so it would last longer :wink:
You've got a big engine there, it would need a seriously large water tank to sustain boost for half and hour. If it's already intercooled half-way it would be much better.

Rootzz06
29-10-2005, 06:44 PM
Man are you gonna see results with the water/alky injection!you can run more boost and timing!I cant believe the awesome results on my car wich only runs about 10 psi(10.5 compression though)BOB at exotic performance plus is your guy on that subject.

arz
02-02-2006, 02:41 PM
Mine knocked at about 17psi and I took out no timing at all and have only had it to 21 psi and the difference is incredible. Im running a 2 gallon tank on the street with a pump that shuts itself off (at 100~110 psi) and comes on at 60~70 psi. I set up a pressure sensor between one of the solenoids and the outlet misting nozzel, this pressure switch activates a solenoid that lets me have anything over 16 psi. When this pressure is absent (from and empty tank, a broken pump, a low WI tank) the pressue switch shuts down my boost to a safe level. With a supercharger you could hook up a low level sensor in the tank to switch a solenoid that would open a huge BOV on the other side of the throttlebody, or turn on a BIG RED light. Im really not sure what you could do to make it 100% safe for you.

I have never run a road course with this setup but if its just a track day you might want to decide to call it a day once the tank runs out and adjust the size accordingly. You wont have a good idea of how long the tank will last until you are able to run it at race conditions.

BTW keep reading, on WI you will find fuel is a very poor intercooler, and its probably hurting your HP more than you think. 15 psi on a 4.6 liter should be way into the 500 rwhp range.