PDA

View Full Version : Nickelsil Cylinders....

LA993tt
10-02-2006, 12:22 AM
Anyone know if a water or water/methanol combination will have any effect on the nickelsil coating on a cylinder. I have had people tell me it will ruin my cylinders in my 993TT, but they can point to no source for that conclusion.

Many thanks,

Richard L
10-02-2006, 12:53 AM
Anyone know if a water or water/methanol combination will have any effect on the nickelsil coating on a cylinder. I have had people tell me it will ruin my cylinders in my 993TT, but they can point to no source for that conclusion.

Many thanks,

Would those people give more details on "how" water/methanol damage it. I like to know more also.

Richard

LA993tt
10-02-2006, 06:22 AM
That's the problem. I hear...its bad for the cylinders it will make the nickelsil come off...I think its total BS. Water is a by product of burning gas. A little methanol mixed in shouldn't make a big difference.

Anyway, that's why i'm posting here...figure this is where the guys are who should know this. Unfortunately, unless you are running a porsche or a motorcycle this probably won't pertain to issues most are faced with when making a decisin to do w/i or not.

thanks

PuntoRex
10-02-2006, 08:37 AM
My car's engine comes with old fashion cast iron block.
I've been using WI since '99, with pretty high w/f ratio (20~30%).
Total milage with WI exceeds 110000km. It's a daily driver.

Recently I got the head gasket replaced.
With the head removed, it was easily seen that all of the pistons & cylinder wall are in very good shape.

The only bad things with WI are:
1. The boost can be easily tuned up to a very high level, which eventually cracked the head.
2. Speeding tickets.

keithmac
19-02-2006, 01:00 AM
I work with m/c`s (but not water injecting them), nickelsil is a very hard coating and the only failures I`ve seen are from 2strokes with the piston/rings letting go. Never ever seen a 4stroke bore failure. If the coating is damaged it`s new block time though, we`ve had barrels re-coated and they`re never as good as factory..

arz
01-03-2006, 02:56 PM
Methanol is very corrosive but its not in the cylinder long enough to do any dammage. Also if a cast iron block isnt affected by methanol I dont see how a higher nickel content on the cylinder walls will be dammaged. Of all of the components in my system the only ones affected by the methanol are the brass compression fittings. Hell even my misting nozzles are nickel plated and I have no issues what so ever. I suspect your Nay sayer has a lot less experience with methanol than he is letting on. I say go for it.