waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Theory (what it is and what it does) > General Effects

Old 21-06-2006, 06:30 PM

Default How much ignition advance with WI?

HI
I wonder how much you others usually advance ignition timing with WI? In my car I must advance timing relatively lot to avoid misfiring at max. rpm and load. With less advanced (more retarded) timing I get missfiring at high revs and load (same like with too much retarded ignition and without WI), but it get better and better with advancing ignition timing. Unfortunatelly I dont have timing gun, so I just slightly rotate CAS and listening for detonations...
Im using water/ethanol mixture (25%of ethanol), switched on at 0.7bar, max. boost is 1.2bar, car is nissan 200sx with ca18det engine and T3 turbo.
Im using cooling mist WI kit.
Old 25-06-2006, 01:24 PM

My cordia is at 10 degree's btdc ignition timing, so far it works very well, at roughly 18 psi boost.
Old 26-06-2006, 08:26 AM

Thanks for reply.

Standard timing for my car is 15deg BTDC, so cannot compare with your setting (anyway, 10deg BTDC is pretty retarded timing, isnt it?). Im moving in region of about 25(maybe more) deg BTDC....
Old 01-07-2006, 02:02 AM

Im running stock timing which is about 20? advance at redline with zero retard on a 1.8L turbo toyota.
Using a progressive controller with 50/50 water/methanol mix. Injection begins at 2-3psig and 20% pump pressure.
Linear progression to full pump pressure ~120psi at 10psig running 12psig maximum boost..
Old 29-11-2006, 12:28 AM

All the current posts are old due to the site rebuild, but we need to "wake up the forum" so will add a comment here.

As a general rule using WI slows down the fuel burn slightly. On a properly set up system most folks need an additional 2-3 degrees advance when they are spraying water.

If you need significantly more advance than that to avoid high rpm missfire, you may be spraying too much water at high rpm. You might want to back off the spray rate slightly at high rpm and see if the missfire goes away. You might also have a spray mix distribution problem that is not giving a uniform mixture at high rpm.

Larry