waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Gasoline Forced-Induction

Old 06-08-2008, 11:18 AM

Default help! pump and tank placement

Sorry, i tried using the forums search engine but couldnt find any related topic.

I installed my shurflo pump inside the engine bay of my 1992 galant VR4 very near to the firewall and near the passenger side strut, below the factory windshield tank which i am now using as my methanol tank.

did the wirings and cut the tubings already and the system is functioning as far as i can tell.

now what i didnt realize when i did the install is how HEAT from the engine bay will factor in the performance/efficiency/durability/reliability of the pump and the hoses!

more importantly the meth inside the tank.

will this be a big factor? or should i relocate both? my problem with relocating at the trunk is that my wirings and tubings wont be enough.

sigh. stupid me for not thinking first before installing. I got too excited! :roll:

thanks.

chris b
Old 06-08-2008, 09:45 PM

Hello, I put mine in the boot,out of the way. The best point for me was I could run a 20l tank (75meth 25water) and do a good 1 to 2 full tanks of petrol before I needed to think of refilling the system.

I`ve got a post in the gallery section http://www.aquamist.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1442 , running a Shurflow with 6mm line to the front of the car. I`ll have to put some pictures up of the pump mounting.

I also have a VW Golf with an Erl pump in the rear and a 5l tank, works well.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:55 AM

Most turbo buick guys run pure meth and pump in the engine bay without a problem. Your tank is made to take meth, and be in the engine. Technicaly, it?s the phase change of the liquid that does the cooling, and the warmer the fluid, the easier it is for it to phase change. Is the pump near your exhaust or anything?
Old 07-08-2008, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust
Most turbo buick guys run pure meth and pump in the engine bay without a problem. Your tank is made to take meth, and be in the engine. Technicaly, it?s the phase change of the liquid that does the cooling, and the warmer the fluid, the easier it is for it to phase change. Is the pump near your exhaust or anything?
nope the pump is very far away from the exhaust. It's near the firewall where the windshield stands but way below. close to the ground where there's lot of air that can pass through.

when you say "the warmer the fluid, it's easier for it to phase change." so warmer meth is good for the system while it phase changes vs. colder meth? when i say warmer vs. colder i mean tank location where the meth in the can be cooler when trunk mounted vs. inside engine bay where meth in tank is warmer.

thanks.

chris b
Old 07-08-2008, 05:29 AM

also, please correct me if im wrong...methanol has a higher boiling point than water right?

chris b
Old 07-08-2008, 11:36 AM

Boiling point of methanol is 64.7 C, ie. lower boiling point. Higher base temp for fluid means not much additional heat to absorb to bring it to the point of changing phase from liquid to gas.
Old 23-08-2008, 11:16 AM

ok so i fabricated my own meth tank. materials used:

- 6" stainless steel tube with 1 gallon capacity
- radiator top mount
- radiator cap
- stainless steel breather tube
- generic breather

here are some pics of the design and the actual product in my car domain http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2225327/5

problem is, that some meth are seeping out of the breather! I dont know why it's seeping out. It does so even when the engine has just been started and the hood is popped up.

as you can see in the design, the breather tube is even higher than the top end of the tank.

should i just take away the breather and breather tube and seal the whole thing?

any advice and inputs are very welcome.

TIA

chris b
Old 25-08-2008, 10:41 PM

If you seal the breather the methanol won`t be displaced by air when the Shurflow tries to pump it out of the tank so you`ll starve the pump.

Methanol`s boiling point may be 67c, but warm Methanol will evapourate maybe that`s what`s happening?. I have no problems with the breather in the boot setup.

If you spill methanol on the floor when filling/ mixing it the methanol will evapourate very quickly, in a matter of minutes.. May be worth cutting it with 25% water, that`s the mix I use and I`ve had no notable loss after it`s been stood in the tank for a while.