waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Gasoline Forced-Induction

Old 26-08-2004, 10:57 PM

Default Shurflo pump rebuild kits??

I think I have damaged my Shurflo 8000-543-238 pump by running it dry last night. :sad: The motor runs and the pump pressurizes the system, but very slowly. It just doesn't have the quick pressurizing that it used to.

My WI pressure gauge light is out and so I didn't see the pressure drop. I was breaking in a new engine and so I also had other things that I was worried about. :roll: The low psi nozzle was the only one that was being triggered, so as far as denotation I was still in good shape.

Anyway, my question is: Does anyone know a good supplier of rebuild kits for this Shurflo pump? I could do online, but I would prefer to find one in Denver, CO so that I can fix this sooner.

Thanks for the help!

-Craig
Old 26-08-2004, 11:14 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Shurflo supplies repair kits for their pump. You can get the part number from their site:
http://www.shurflo.com/pages/Marine/...ir/repair.html

Once you get the part number, you can order form their agents.
Old 26-08-2004, 11:20 PM

Default pump prime

I've had problems on a couple occasions getting the shurflo to prime. It appears that if an air bubble of the right size, gets in just the right place, the pump can airlock, seems as if the pump cycles, and all it does is stretch and compress the bubble or something like that.

Try to pressurize the inlet a bit, somehow. If you have a rubber hose on the intake side of the surflo, try squeezing it rapidly a couple times while the pump is running. If your pump is doing the same as mine did, its running at full speed and does not seem to move any water to speak of.

When I squeezed the inlet line while the pump was running all of a sudden it changed from full speed no load to the normal slower stroke rate that quickly slows and stops as the pump comes up to pressure.

Supposedly they can be run dry with no harm but I know the pump gets quite warm running at full speed no load.

Larry
Old 26-08-2004, 11:23 PM

Yeah Larry. That's what it's doing. I'll try what you suggested.

Thanks!

By the way Larry, are you on RMDSM by chance?
Old 27-08-2004, 03:11 PM

OK, for the archives:

Last night I was able to massage the inlet hose of the pump like Larry had suggested. The pump primed and is working normally again.

Thanks for the suggestions! :wink:

-Craig
Old 27-08-2004, 08:02 PM

Default Good to hear it worked

Ah Good to hear it works --- seems to be a common issue, if two different setups have had the same thing happen.

My pump is mounted horizontally with only a foot or so of hydraulic head on the intake side, and a pre-pump debris filter FWIW,

Quote:
By the way Larry, are you on RMDSM by chance?
Yep that would be me as well.

Larry
Old 01-09-2004, 08:50 PM

The inline suction filter on mine became plugged and the pump lost suction , I noticed the "pump run " light staying on longer than the usual 3 seconds. I think its a good idea to have a warning system for low water pressure inside the car (as I have done now) to indicate if the pressure falls before a critical level. I do have a gauge , but its in the engine bay ,I cant fit any more gauges inside, I thaught that I had simply used out the storage and the pump was now supplying the pressure. :!: , when I stopped and chesked I only had 30psi on the gauge an it wasnt rising (since the filter was dirty) , it normally does within 2-3 seconds!! , luckily I did not go into boost and cause any damage to my motor. :idea:
Old 05-09-2004, 12:48 PM

Default SHURflo pumps

Only the SHURflo pumps with the Viton valves and Santoprene diaphragm are rebuildable to my knowledge. Kits are available through NorthernTool.com

Kent
Old 07-09-2004, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuMaurier 7
The inline suction filter on mine became plugged and the pump lost suction , I noticed the "pump run " light staying on longer than the usual 3 seconds. I think its a good idea to have a warning system for low water pressure inside the car (as I have done now) to indicate if the pressure falls before a critical level. I do have a gauge , but its in the engine bay ,I cant fit any more gauges inside, I thaught that I had simply used out the storage and the pump was now supplying the pressure. :!: , when I stopped and chesked I only had 30psi on the gauge an it wasnt rising (since the filter was dirty) , it normally does within 2-3 seconds!! , luckily I did not go into boost and cause any damage to my motor. :idea:
What pressure would you set the warning indicator to come on? Check Honeywell's web site for Hobbs switches. They are available with numerous setpoints, connectors, and internal materials. I am planning one to tee in the pump outlet line along with an accumulator. The switch will only turn on a warning indicator for awhile, but future upgrades will have it toggle the PCM program and possibly limit boost (if I can get that part worked out).
Old 28-11-2004, 10:26 PM

Would it do any good to mount the pump off horizontal, so that air travels up?